Steelkings run Mayhem over Manchester

Match report from our 10-2 win against Manchester Mayhem Para Ice Hockey Club on Sunday 18th June, by Jake Oakley:

It may have taken two-and-a-half seasons but the Sheffield Steelkings Para Ice Hockey Club finally picked up its first ever victory in team’s history on Sunday (18th June).

The Manchester Mayhem were the club to take the title of being the first team to be beaten by Sheffield, in an emphatic display which saw the Steelkings thrashing the Mayhem 10-2.

Sheffield had been previously beaten by the Mayhem squad in an ill-tempered game in Altricham earlier in the season but bounced back in front of a packed IceSheffield home crowd.

Both teams had key players missing for the game but it was Sheffield who again could have found themselves on the wrong end of a big score line after missing both of their starting goaltenders.

It was forward, Jake Oakley, who found himself between the pipes for the Steelkings, having never played in goal for a sledge hockey game before.

Following the game Jake had this to say: “I’m so proud of this team for the incredible performance in front of me. Everyone stepped up their game to work together and they really pushed hard to get to every puck and win every battle.”

The Steelkings set the tone of the game very early and found the back of the net after only 33 seconds in – the first of many for Gary Farmer that night.

The game settled and it took a further eight and fourteen minutes for Sheffield to go two and three goals up. The third coming as part of a power play attack by Sheffield as Mayhem’s Pat Bailey got called with a ‘T’-ing penalty.

The second period started like the first and it took only 72 seconds for Farmer to put away his fourth goal past Manchester’s Dougy Hankinson.

Mayhem didn’t give up and kept pushing hard to test the Steelkings rookie goaltender several times in quick succession but they couldn’t find the back of the net.

Goal five for Sheffield, saw Mark Briggs get his first as a Steelking just after the 25 minute point and the score stayed that way until the whistle went for the end of the second period.

As the puck dropped once more for the third period, it was Barry Grayson who opened the scoring for the Steelkings after tucking the puck away after just 58 seconds to make the game 6-0.

Farmer also found the back of Hankinson’s net 90 seconds later before Manchester finally found their way through the Sheffield defence. Anthony Booth finally got a frustrated Mayhem team onto the scoreboard after working his way into the zone for a shot with just over ten minutes left in the game.

Two more shots found the back of the net for the Steelkings, both within the 36th minute of the game. Again scored by Gary Farmer for his sixth and seventh goals of the game.

This was the followed only a minute later, with Mark Colquitt finding a loose puck on the back door for his first as a Steelking too. Mark’s goal took Sheffield’s talley into the dizzy heights of double figures.

Manchester weren’t finished though and a well timed play with only five minutes to play, saw captain Karl Nicholson, weave through the Sheffield defence and sneak a shot past the blocker of Oakley for their second of the game.

Shots and saves were then had by both sides but the final four minutes stayed even and the 10-2 score became final. This saw a new chapter written into the Steelkings history books.

Reflecting on the club’s first win, captain David Scivill, had this to say: “I’m seriously proud of everyone on that performance and we won that game as a team and a family.”

On scoring his first goal of the game an excited Mark Colquitt added: “It was Superb! All the hard work the team has put together and I feel I have officially contributed too. I always aim to hopefully set up other people’s goals but to get one myself, is a bonus!”

The Sheffield Steelkings now look to carry this form into their next game when they travel to face a strong Cardiff Huskies Para Ice Hockey Club on the 8th July.

Shots on goal:
Sheffield – Oakley – 16
Manchester – Hankinson – 26

Penalties in Minutes:
Sheffield – 0
Manchester – 2

Man of the Match:
Sheffield – Gary Farmer
Manchester – Anthony Booth

All the photo’s from the game can be seen in our album at…

Thanks to Peter Bradbury for filming the game

Posted on 21 June 2017, in Games. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Steelkings run Mayhem over Manchester.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: